Ir al contenido principal

Zambra en Zoetrope: Fantasy

Salió el número de Zoetrope dedicado  a los latin wrtitters y en que Alejandro Zambra participa con un cuento llamado Fantasía.
Es posible aceder online a la revista por lo que aquí va sólo el comienzo del cuento y si quieren proseguir su lectura, hay que clikear e ir a la revista Zoetrope:

"1.
It was in 1996, four or five months after my father's death. Perhaps it's better to begin with that death, with that ending. I don't know. At that time my father was my enemy. I was twenty years old and I hated him. Now I think that hating him was unfair. My father didn't deserve that hatred. I don't know whether he deserved love, but I'm sure he didn't deserve that hatred.
He had just bought a truck, with the last of his savings, a white 1988 Ford in good condition. The day it was delivered he parked it two blocks from home, but the next morning he died—he died of a heart attack, just like his father and his father's father—so the truck stayed there for several weeks, exposed to the elements, obstructing traffic. After the funeral, my mother decided to head south; she returned south, in reality, as if obeying a long-premeditated plan. She didn't want to tell me she was leaving for good. She didn't ask me to accompany her. So I ended up with the house and the truck, which one morning, emboldened by loneliness, I drove carefully through outlying streets until I found a place to leave it.
I spent the days half-drunk, watching movies in the big bed and sullenly receiving the neighbors' condolences. I was, at last, free. That this freedom was so similar to abandonment seemed like nothing more than a detail. I dropped out of the university, without giving it much thought, since I couldn't see myself studying for the Calculus I exam again, for the third time. My mother sent me enough money to get by on, so I forgot about the truck until Luis Miguel came to ask me for it. I remember that I opened the door with fear, but Luis Miguel's kindness immediately eased my suspicions. After introducing himself and apologizing for the late hour, he said he'd heard I had a truck and he wanted to propose I rent it to him.
I could drive it and pay you a monthly fee, he said. I responded that I had little or no interest in the truck, that it would be better for me to sell." 

Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

El Nuevo Coloso, de Benjamin Sachs

"Como todos los lectores saben, El nuevo coloso es una novela histórica, un libro meticulosamente documentado situado en América entre 1876 y 1890 y basado en hechos reales. La mayoría de los personajes son seres que vivieron realmente en esa época, e incluso cuando los personajes son imaginarios, no son tanto inventos como préstamos, figuras robadas de las páginas de otras novelas. Por lo demás, todos los hechos son verdaderos -verdaderos en el sentido de que siguen el hilo de la historia- y en aquellos lugares en los que eso no queda claro, no hay ninguna manipulación de las leyes de la probabilidad. Todo parece verosímil, real, incluso banal por lo preciso de su descripción, y sin embargo Sachs sorprende al lector continuamente, mezclando tantos géneros y estilos para contar su historia que el libro empieza a parecer una máquina de juego, un fabuloso artefacto con luces parpadeantes y noventa y ocho efectos sonoros diferentes. De capítulo en capítulo, va saltando de la narració

Tony Montana

  "¿Qué miran? Son todos unos imbéciles. ¿Saben por qué? No tienen los huevos para ser lo que quieren ser. Necesitan gente como yo. Necesitan gente como yo para poder señalarla con sus putos dedos y decir 'ese es el malo'. ¿Y eso qué los hace? ¿Buenos? Ustedes no son buenos. Sólo saben cómo esconderse, cómo mentir. Yo no tengo ese problema. Yo siempre digo la verdad... incluso cuando miento." Tony Montana,  Scarface  (1983)

Una oración muy muy larga o Aquí no hay punto aparte?

La columna es del NYT: "“No book worth its salt is meant to put you to sleep,” says the garrulous shoemaker who narrates the Czech novelist Bohumil Hrabal’s “Dancing Lessons for the Advanced in Age” (1964), “it’s meant to make you jump out of bed in your underwear and run and beat the author’s brains out.” Thirty-three pages into what appears to be an unbroken highway of text, the reader might well wonder if that’s a mission statement or an invitation. “Dancing Lessons” unfurls as a single, sometimes maddening sentence that ends after 117 pages without a period, giving the impression that the opinionated, randy old cobbler will go on jawing ad infinitum. But the gambit works. His exuberant ramblings gain a propulsion that would be lost if the comma splices were curbed, the phrases divided into sentences. And there’s something about that slab of wordage that carries the eye forward, promising an intensity simply unattainable by your regularly punctuated novel. Hrabal wasn’t th